Wednesday, February 21, 2007

NBC Nightly News

I'm not going to wax on about the life or life support the nightly newscast lives, at least not in this post. I watch NBC Nightly News, usually the next morning via video podcast. I like Brian Williams; he's another in a line of solid, smart and trustworthy deliverers of the news (from NBC, Huntley, Brinkley, Chancellor, Brokaw; from CBS, Cronkite; from ABC, Jennings).

No, I just wanted to say that sometimes the newscast surprises me. In November last year, the broadcast had a single sponsor, Philips, who reduced the advertising content from 8 minutes to 5. More time for news. And last night (or, this morning), the last 3 minutes was a live performance by a Wynton Marsalis quintet (from Jazz at Lincoln Center), from New York, but celebrating Phat Tuesday.

Pretty cool.

No comments: